INFORMATION ON COOKIES
Cookies are small text files that websites transmit to users’ terminals (usually to the browser) where they are stored and then re-transmitted to the site when the user next visits it. While navigating on a website a user may also receive cookies from other websites or web servers (third parties), which may contain various elements, such as images, maps, sounds, or specific links to pages of other domains, present on the site that the user is visiting. Cookies, which are normally stored on users’ browsers in large numbers, including long persistence cookies, are used for various aims such as the execution of digital authentications, session monitoring, storage of information on specific configurations concerning the users who access the server, etc.
Types of cookies
Cookies can be divided into two macro categories: “technical cookies” and “proliferation cookies”.
Technical cookies are the cookies used exclusively to “transmit a communication on an electronic communication network, or to the extent strictly required by a company service provider responsible for delivering information explicitly requested by the subscriber or user in order to provide said service” (cf. art. 122, subsection 1, of the Italian data protection act).
Technical cookies are not used for ulterior motives and they are normally installed directly by the owner or operator of the website. Technical cookies can be further subdivided into navigation or session cookies, which guarantee normal navigation and use of the site (making it possible, for example, to make a purchase or gain access to reserved areas of the site); analytics cookies, which are similar to technical cookies when used directly by the website operator to gather information in aggregated form concerning the number of users and on how they visit the site; functionality cookies, which allow the user to navigate in accordance with a set of selected criteria (e.g. language, products selected for purchase) in order to improve the level of service provided.
There is another type of cookies called “flash cookies” (Local Shared Objects), which are used in Adobe Flash Player to distribute certain types of content such as video clips or animations, in order to remember settings and preferences. Flash cookies are stored on the user’s device, but they are controlled by a different interface with respect to that supplied by the browser.
The Adobe website http://www.adobe.com/devnet/security.html contains information on how to remove or deactivate the Flash cookies related to a specific domain. Prior consent of users is not required for the installation of flash cookies, although it remains mandatory to publish the privacy practices pursuant to art. 13 of the Italian data protection act, which the 2 site operator, if using exclusively these devices, can provide with the methods it deems most appropriate.
Proliferation cookies are designed to create user profiles and they are used in order to transmit advertising messages in line with the preferences expressed by the user during his or her navigation on the Internet. Due to the invasive nature that such devices may have in relation to user privacy, European and Italian regulations state that the user must be adequately informed in relation to the use of proliferation cookies and provide explicit valid consent for their use. Proliferation cookies are addressed by art. 122 of the Italian data protection act, which prescribes that “the storage of information on the terminal device of a contractual party or user or access to information already stored on the device is permitted solely on the condition that the contractual party or user has expressed his or her consent after being informed by means of the simplified methods as at article 13, subsection 3 (art. 122, subsection 1 of the Italian data protection act).
DESCRIPTION OF COOKIES USED ON THIS WEB SITE
Technical cookies are installed on the website the user is browsing. Technical cookies are necessary to navigate on the web site, they allow to use main task and safeguard connections, maintain the session identifiers and store information concerning the authentication. Without technical cookies any or all web-site tasks may be unavailable.
This site does not use proliferation cookies.
THIRD PARTY COOKIES
The following section describes third party cookies that may be used by the web-site, as well as links by means of which any users may obtain further information and request their disablement.
• GOOGLE FONTS – Service provided by Google Inc. – USA provides the facility to embed and display personalized font styles on the website. To consult the privacy practices of Google Inc., which is the independent data controller in relation to the Google Fonts service, go to: http://www.google.it/intl/it/policies/privacy
• SOCIAL PLUGINS – These services allow interaction with social media or other external platforms directly from the pages of this web-site. The interactions and information collected by this online space are anyway subject to the user’s privacy settings on each social media site. If a service for interaction with social media is installed, it may occur, also in the case of users who do not use the related service, that the service collects traffic data concerning the pages on which it is installed. To consult the privacy practices of social networks, which are independent data controllers for the processing of data related to the services they supply:
To consult the privacy practices of Google Inc., which is the independent data controller in relation to the Google Maps service, go to: https://maps.google.com/help/terms_maps.html
• YOUTUBE – YouTube is a video content service managed by Google Inc. – USA, which makes it possible to embed video contents in the pages of the website. The privacy practices and terms of service can be consulted at the following link: https://developers.google.com/youtube/terms
To consult the privacy practices of Google Inc., which is the independent data controller for the YouTube service, go to: http://www.google.it/intl/it/policies/privacy
The exact nature of certain cookies (which, in certain conditions, can be “proliferation cookies”) may be reconsidered in the future based on the evolution of the interpretation of the directives of the data protection authority. In this case these privacy practices will be updated and any additional compliance requirements will be implemented.
LIFETIME OF COOKIES
Cookies have a lifetime that depends on their expiration date or on a specific action such as closing the browser, as defined at the time of installation. Cookies can be:
• Temporary or session cookies: used for the temporary storage of information; session cookies make it possible to interconnect the actions performed during a specific session and they are removed from the user’s computer on closing the browser.
• Persistent cookies: used to store information such as access username and password, in order to avoid the user having to re-enter his or her data on each fresh visit to a website. Persistent cookies are retained on the user’s computer also after the browser is closed.
MANAGEMENT OF COOKIES – HOW TO DISABLE THEM
were granted in the past, they must be deleted within the browser (dedicated section) or users can send an opt-out request directly to the third party.
Further information is available on the following websites:
For more details on how disabling cookies, please refer to information available on the following links on how configuring most popular web browsers. If you are not using any of these listed browsers, select “cookies” on Support section of your browser.
• Microsoft Windows Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/it-it/help/278835/how-to-delete-cookie-files-ininternet-explorer
• Google Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=it&p=cpn_cookies
• Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/it/kb/Attivare%20e%20disattivare%20i%20cookie
• Opera Software: http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.00/it/cookies.html
You can remove all installed cookies within the cookie browser folder. Each browser has different procedures in place to manage cookie settings. Consult the Support section of your browser to find out how changing settings and locating the cookies folder on your system.